STUNG BY A SCORPION CALLED...

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Before I get to the main point of this post, let me start with a basic fact about me. Till the time I was in school, i.e. Class 12th, I used to detest books and hate reading. The avid reader that I now am was not even a distant dream at one point of time. I don't know how this scorpion called books stung me, but I'm glad that it did. The people around me, especially my friends, are surprised to see me read so vigorously, and are even more surprised when they get to know that just a few years ago I hated reading.
The first book which I read was 173 Hours In Captivity by Neelesh Mishra. It is a book on the hijacking  of the Indian Airlines flight IC 814, and it took me approxiamtely four months to finish it. The next was End of the Line by Neelesh Mishra, and was about the royal massacre of Nepal by the crown prince. I don't remember which was the next, but I do remember that what started with 173 Hours In Captivity is continuing even today. And I am happy that it has withstood the test of time and has not fizzled out. The number of books that I have read till date since the day I started reading is 122 and the count is still on. I am currently reading Sidney Sheldon's After The Darkness by Tilly Bagshawe, and Love Life and Ambition by Bharat Agarwal, simultaneously. I don't have any particular choice while selecting books. I read books from Indian Writing, Autobiographies, Biographies, Fiction, and anything that I like. But one genre that I can't digest are the Classics.
Sitting in a coffee shop; standing in the queue at the ATM, in the cab on way to college, and anywhere where I get the chance, you'll find me with a book. Book reading is one hobby, one habit I would suggest others to take up. At least reading books doesn't make you feel bored when you are sitting alone and have got nothing to do.
So all those people who have been reading, continue the hobby. And for those who don't, take up reading as a hobby. I assure you that it would open up new vistas, which you might have thought never even existed before.

2 comments:

  1. Chitra Parmar said...:

    I love reading and is a wonderful hobby to pursue!
    so many books ha .. good going!! the places where we can find you with a book are the places where people generally waste a lot of time ... I would say read instead and use your time productively because whatever we read becomes us for ever.. we learn.. our thinking evolves, I believe

  1. Unknown said...:

    Even i am in habit of reading books but i don't read book at these places. That is because i want to grab the happenings of my sorroundings as it gives a lots of experiences. As far as i remember i used to read books when i was in class 1 or 2. At that time i was unable to read them as fast as i can do it today but that was fun for me at that time also. Earlier i used to read only Hindi Litreature but slowly I shifted to English and nowadays i try to read to every language(translated obviously). Abhishek, how can u take 4 months to read a book. As far as I remember I never took that much time even in my earliest stages.
    Anyways nice habit and good going. Keep it up.

Post a Comment

 
Abhishek Bose © 2011 | Designed by Blogger Templates Gallery